[Thinlinc-technical] Requests regarding ThinLinc client (Linux)

Aaron Sowry aaron at cendio.se
Fri May 31 13:07:57 CEST 2013

Hi Jens,

> 1) As we supply the password on command-line via the "-p" option
> potential hackers could easily retrieve the user password in clear text
> by simply listing all running processes via the "ps" command on linux.

There are actually 2 ways to achieve this with ThinLinc:

1) The ThinLinc client has an option "--askpass PROGRAM" (see "tlclient
--help" and [1]). Whether this will work for you or not depends on the
program which is asking the user for their login information, however it
is worth a look.

2) Specify a per-user client configuration file, which contains the
password. This configuration file will have the same format as
~/tlclient.conf, and should be set with the appropriate permissions. You
will need to set the PASSWORD parameter (see [2]) using hexadecimal
ASCII representations of the password characters. For example, for a
password of "foo":

PASSWORD=666F6F

In your case, you will probably also want to set AUTOLOGIN=1 as well as
SERVER_NAME. The ThinLinc client can then be launched as follows:

$ tlclient -C <conf_file>

> 2) When automatically connecting to a thinlinc server by calling the
> client with username, password and server name the client GUI always
> pops up while trying to connect to the ThinLinc server. There is,
> however, no option to suppress the ThinLinc client user interface
> completely.

We do in fact have a feature-request bug for this already in our tracker
(bug #2897). It has not been implemented yet, however. If this feature
is important to you, and you would like to make a feature request for
it, you can send a mail to support at cendio.se and we can discuss this
further off-list.

[1] http://www.cendio.com/resources/docs/tag/client_cmdline.html
[2] http://www.cendio.com/resources/docs/tag/clientconf.html#id2528030