[Thinlinc-technical] XKB based keyboard switching not working...

Jens Langner j.langner at hzdr.de
Thu May 30 16:56:43 CEST 2013

Hi Andreas,

great to hear that you also finally switched to ThinLinc since SunRays are really getting outdated and not usable anymore…

Am 30.05.2013 um 16:28 schrieb Andreas v. Heydwolff <listmail at sandpsych.at>:

>> However, I think you will be glad to hear that in 4.1, we have done a
>> lot of work on XKB, and it will also be enabled by default. This should
>> solve a lot of issues.
>
> Hello Peter, Jens, Tobias,
>
> good to hear this. My workaround so far has been to disconnect the
> session, change the kb layout in the (IGEL) client, and login again.

Ah, you are using IGEL clients. We also evaluated these clients but for us they were way too expensive compared to the recently released "intel NUC" barebones (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/nuc.html) which not only have low power consumption but are also quite cost efficient. Here in Germany you can get a celeron-based intel NUC for about 150 EUR with 2GB of RAM. Together with a "thinstation" based linux distribution (http://www.thinstation.org/) which we patched to our needs this really is currently IMHO the most efficient Thinclient for being used with ThinLinc. In fact, we are about to roll out quite a bunch of these systems (about 60+) to our users pretty soon and replace all of our SunRay systems (~120) step by step.

best regards,
jens
--
Dr. Jens Langner
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter Joehnk
VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden