[Thinlinc-technical] engineering my Sun Ray replacement

Jens Langner j.langner at hzdr.de
Mon Jul 22 17:06:53 CEST 2013

Am 22.07.2013 um 16:31 schrieb John P Arends <jarends at northwestern.edu>:

> My suggestion would be that you re-work your design a bit rather than trying to use ThinLinc as a drop in replacement. I'd probably make the system chooser part of the PXE boot image and for those who connect to Windows, they can just go that route from there and never touch ThinLinc.

This is actually exactly what we are doing here in our environment. We boot our ThinClients (intel NUC) via PXE into an adapted version of the "thinstation" OS which then starts our own session chooser GUI (Qt4-based) which then either directly starts rdesktop/xfreerdp to connect to Windows servers or if the user choose to connect to Linux we run the ThinLinc client. This also improves load on the ThinLinc server since users that only connect to Windows Terminal Servers are not routed through our ThinLinc servers and thus they have to deal with less load.

If anyone is interested to test this thinstation-OS based version I would be happy to share it accordingly.

best regards,
jens
--
Dr. Jens Langner
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter Joehnk
VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden