[Thinlinc-technical] engineering my Sun Ray replacement

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon Jul 22 11:27:37 CEST 2013

Hi! To have a kiosk type setup, where clients are automatically logging in
to the server, we recommend that you create one user account per terminal.
Then, the client is configured to automatically login with this user name.
As credentials, you can use a password, a SSH public key, or existing
kerberos tickets. For example, if you are using passwords, you can edit
tlclient.conf on the terminal so that it contains:

SERVER_NAME=myserver
LOGIN_NAME=terminalxyz
PASSWORD=6c696e7578
AUTOLOGIN=1

The password is specified using HEX character pairs, and can be retrieved
with:

$ python -c 'import thinlinc.ctccommon; print thinlinc.ctccommon.string2hexascii("linux")'
6c696e7578

Then, the client can be started as "tlclient --loop". This will give you
an "always logged in" session.

On the server side, you could continue to use zenity, but I'd recommend
our "profile chooser" instead. Connecting to WTS servers based on
name/group/realm should be easy.

When it comes to connecting to other servers using XDMCP, we have very
little experience with this. In principle, it could work with adding a
suitable -query parameter for Xvnc to the /vsmagent/xserver_args config
parameter. You also need to remove "-nolisten tcp". However, running the
desktop+applications and the Xserver on two different machines is not
optimal from neither a performance nor security perspective. If possible,
it's better to run the desktop environment on the actual ThinLinc servers.

Also, if the users have their usernames and passwords, it's better to let
them enter their credentials in the ThinLinc Client GUI at the client
side. Then they will get their own sessions, running under their real uid.
This makes it possible to reconnect from other clients etc.

Regards,
Peter