[Thinlinc-technical] New Thinlinc setup

Jens Langner j.langner at hzdr.de
Thu Jul 18 18:58:33 CEST 2013

Hi,

we have

- Lubuntu 12.10 alternative
- LXDE Desktop Environment which is somewhat more lightweight than GNOME&co but with almost the same features.
- 20 intel NUC driven ThinClients (~ 150 EUR each) with an own adaption of the linux-driven 'thinstation' OS (open source), all no HD and booted via PXE (image size ~50 MB). About to buy about another ~150 more NUCs to completely replace our SunRays until next year. Our adapted 'thinstation' OS for the NUCs allows to either directly connect via rdesktop/xfreerdp to windows terminal servers or via ThinLinc to our ThinLinc server (reduces load on ThinLinc server).

best regards,
jens

Am 17.07.2013 um 17:20 schrieb Leigh Porter <leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com>:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm just setting up a test system to look at replacing our oracle SunRay boxes.
>
> Just a quick question though.
>
> What OS should I use? Is Ubuntu Server or Desktop easier, or something else? I'd rather have gnome rather than that awful unity thing.
>
> RedHat/etc also possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Leigh Porter

Dr. Jens Langner
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf
Institute of Radiopharmaceutical Cancer Research
Department of Positron Emission Tomography
POB 51 01 19, 01314 Dresden, Germany
http://www.hzdr.de/ | +49 351 260 2757

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter Joehnk
VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden