[Thinlinc-technical] tl-best-winserver on client side?!?

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Wed Jul 10 10:32:39 CEST 2013

Hi. The tl-wts-tools package includes a tl-loadagent service, running on
port 5667. When RDP connections are initiated (through tl-run-rdesktop or
similar commands), the load of the servers in the selected Application
Server Group are fetched, and a suitable server is selected. In modern
versions of ThinLinc, tl-run-rdesktop et al can fetch this via an internal
Python API. tl-best-winserver has remained as a debugging tool.

There are a few problems with using tl-best-winserver directly on a
client:

It's difficult to move this tool out of the ThinLinc server software. It
depends on Python modules from /opt/thinlinc/modules/. Thus, you would
need to install chunks from the TL server software on every client.
Strictly speaking, this is not allowed by the license agreement. This will
also not work on clients which does not fulfill all of the server
requirements. For example, few thin terminals have a Python installation.
And it would not work at all from Windows clients.

ThinLinc is from the start designed to handle multiple session types,
including RDP, and there are many advantages with this. For example, you
only need one client software, open up one network port etc to handle all
session / profile types. Our profile selector can be customized so that
users either can select the type themselves, or it can be configured so
that some users/groups automatically get a certain profile. Another
advantage is that all network traffic is encrypted through SSH, which is
typically considered more safe than RDP.

"Pass-through sessions", ie ThinLinc sessions which connects to other
terminals, consumes fairly little resources on the ThinLinc servers.

Thus, our recommendation is that you always login through ThinLinc.

Best regards,
Peter Astrand

---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer