[Thinlinc-technical] multi-headed Linux client

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Tue Feb 12 12:48:00 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 11 2013, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:09:19 +0000
> David Edmondson <dme at dme.org> wrote:
>> The client shows this as a single window on the LVDS1 display that is
>> 2966x1200 pixels big. The display of this large window scrolls around as
>> I move the mouse to the edge of LVDS1. It doesn't use the HDMI1 display
>> at all.
>>
>> As previously, I'm using the i3 window manager, which may simply be
>> ignoring some hint that is supplied by the thinlinc client to mean
>> "spread this window across all displays".
>
> I'd say so, yes. The multi-head portion of the window manager protocol
> is one of the later additions, so some window managers might not
> support it. I suggest you try a different one and see if that behaves
> better.

Using xfwm4 as the window manager on the terminal improved things
significantly - the tlclient window now properly spans the two monitors
(for the record, openbox didn't work any better than i3 on the
terminal).

There are still some problems when running i3 on the server side, as it
expects to use the XRANDR data to determine the screen layout, but it
doesn't seem to realise that there are multiple monitors. Is the XRANDR
data expected to be complete and correct?

i3 can be forced to use Xinerama on the server side, at which point
things work well with the multiple monitors. That has its' own problems
(i3 doesn't handle switching to a single screen terminal when forced to
use Xinerama), but they are definitely i3 related rather than thinlinc.

>> I'm surprised that the xrandr output from the server doesn't indicate
>> that any of the settings for VNC-0 and VNC-1 are 'current' (shown by a *
>> after the mode).
>
> That happens when the current mode isn't among the pre-defined ones.
> That's why it outputs all that noise in the end.

Understood, thanks. I noticed that the list of standard resolutions
includes 1360x768 - shouldn't that be 1366x768?