[Thinlinc-technical] multi-headed Linux client

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Mon Feb 11 10:09:19 CET 2013

Whilst I was extolling the virtues of thinlinc to a colleague, he
suggested that he would be unable to function without his two monitors,
so I determine to try it out to see how well it works.

I'm running thinlinc 4.0.0 on a 64 bit Debian Testing server. The client
for this test is a Thinkpad X220 running Debian Testing with the 64 bit
thinlinc 4.0.0 client.

The laptop is connected to an external display using a DisplayPort to
DVI cable. The display information appears correct:

: hotblack-desiato; xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2966 x 1200, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 277mm x 156mm
   1366x768       60.0*+
   1360x768       59.8     60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3     56.2
   640x480        59.9
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 connected 1600x1200+1366+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 367mm x 275mm
   1600x1200      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
: hotblack-desiato;

I've used this layout on the laptop many times in the past.

The server has a different view of the world:

: heart-of-gold; xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 32 x 32, current 2966 x 1200, maximum 32768 x 32768
VNC-0 connected 2966x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1920x1200      60.0
   1920x1080      60.0
   1600x1200      60.0
   1680x1050      60.0
   1400x1050      60.0
   1360x768       60.0
   1280x1024      60.0
   1280x960       60.0
   1280x800       60.0
   1280x720       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.0
   640x480        60.0
VNC-1 connected
   1920x1200      60.0
   1920x1080      60.0
   1600x1200      60.0
   1680x1050      60.0
   1400x1050      60.0
   1360x768       60.0
   1280x1024      60.0
   1280x960       60.0
   1280x800       60.0
   1280x720       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.0
   640x480        60.0
  2966x1200 (0x117)  213.6MHz
        h: width  2966 start    0 end    0 total 2966 skew    0 clock   72.0KHz
        v: height 1200 start    0 end    0 total 1200           clock   60.0Hz
: heart-of-gold;

The client shows this as a single window on the LVDS1 display that is
2966x1200 pixels big. The display of this large window scrolls around as
I move the mouse to the edge of LVDS1. It doesn't use the HDMI1 display
at all.

As previously, I'm using the i3 window manager, which may simply be
ignoring some hint that is supplied by the thinlinc client to mean
"spread this window across all displays".

I'm surprised that the xrandr output from the server doesn't indicate
that any of the settings for VNC-0 and VNC-1 are 'current' (shown by a *
after the mode).

My thinlinc client has all of the options on the 'screen' tab (resize,
full screen, full screen across all monitors) set on.

Any suggestions?