[Thinlinc-technical] rdesktop pulse support

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Dec 10 09:45:04 CET 2013

Today Peter Astrand wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Tobi Oetiker wrote:
>
> > > haven't found any good reason to work on this yet :) The existing solution
> > > which automatically uses "padsp" if available should work well.
> > >

> > at least on ubuntu it does not, at least not for us. There is no sound and
> > rdesktop complains about missing /dev/dsp
>
> Which Ubuntu version are you using; 32- or 64-bits?
>
> A few things to check:
>
> * Verify that padsp is actually installed. On 12.04, it's in the
> pulseaudio-utils package.
>
> * If you are using the ThinLinc RDP support (tl-run-rdesktop etc), make sure
> that the Application Server Group entry contains sound=auto or sound=padsp. If
> calling rdesktop manually, add padsp to the beginning of the command line.

found the problem ... looking at /usr/bin/padsp I find

if `pgrep -f /usr/bin/pulseaudio 1>/dev/null` ; then
   if [ x"$LD_PRELOAD" = x ] ; then
        LD_PRELOAD="libpulsedsp.so"
   else
        LD_PRELOAD="$LD_PRELOAD libpulsedsp.so"
   fi
fi

in other words, unless the pulseaudio binary is running on the
server, the padsp will not do anything ... unfortunately,
pulseaudio is not running on the tl-server as sound is being
redirected to the pulse on the  client computer :-)

the sound is not realy useable due to some odd pumping effect

 env LD_PRELOAD=libpulsedsp.so /opt/thinlinc/bin/rdesktop -r sound:local:oss win-server

cheers
tobi