[Thinlinc-technical] low low cost appliance

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Mon Aug 5 17:32:53 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 05 2013, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I've seen the discussion on what thin client appliances work well and
> give full screen video.
>
> We would be replacing many Sunray 1's that don't come close to
> matching that. Is there something small, fanless, less than $100 that
> would match a Sunray 1 for performance? Maybe something a little
> beefier than a Rasberry Pi.

I bought some HP T5730 second hand from a well known auction site. They
cost me under $100 each and work well running the Debian based
thin-client image with thinlinc that I've posted about here before[1].

For me the key things were:
    - they are silent,
    - they are just PCs,
    - they have a DVI video port,
    - they have 1GB flash internally, which is big enough for the client
      image, but can also boot from USB flash devices, which is
      convenient for playing around with various options,
    - they were cheap and can, if necessary, be re-purposed (I have one
      running as a VPN endpoint, for example).

If you start to look at other older thin clients,
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/ is a useful site for details of the
various options.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/dme/terminal-live