[Thinlinc-technical] Sunray Replacement

Darrel Hankerson hankedr at auburn.edu
Fri Aug 2 17:40:12 CEST 2013

Aaron Sowry writes:

   Just to clarify, there have been some recent changes in ThinLinc's
   PulseAudio implementation to enable "tunneling" of audio via an existing
   client-side PulseAudio daemon (if one exists). There are a number of
   nice advantages to this, however it seems that upstream PA has paid a
   little less attention to the "tunnel" module than the rest of
   PulseAudio, at least as far as buffering and latency is concerned.

   We've made some improvements in this regard, and the changes can be
   found in the nightly builds

Success.  Nightly build 4.1.0post-4040_i386.deb solves the slow
audio/video on recent HP-supplied Ubuntu-based distributions (in
particular, T6X43202) on HP thin clients t5745 and t610.

T6X41019 doesn't start pulse and does not exhibit the problem.  It
accepts the latest VMWare View client from HP, so this is another
possible workaround (when a recent View client is desired).

Thanks for the note.  Thinlinc compares favorably to our Sun Ray 2
arrangement.  The Ray might win the administration argument, but
thinlinc easily wins on performance (of VMWare view and thinlinc calls
from a relatively inexpensive HP t610 or t5745 thin client).  Oracle has
faster Rays, but has recently announced that the technology is being
abandoned.

--
Darrel Hankerson