[Thinlinc-technical] Thinlinc 4.0 & 64bit unfsd

Rafael Ostertag rafael.ostertag at math.uzh.ch
Thu Apr 4 16:40:40 CEST 2013

Hi list

We have a rather annoying issue here, involving the 64bit unfsd shipped
with the ThinLinc client 4.0.0: when copying files to an exported volume
on the client machine, we get 'Input/output error'. Sometimes it takes a
while until copying files fails, other times it fails right away on the
first file to copy.

Tracing cp(1) using strace(1) revealed, that the open(2) syscall fails,
when the O_EXCL flag is used in combination with O_CREAT, in order to
create the destination file initially on the client machine, leaving an
empty file behind. In case the destination already exists, cp(1) simply
opens it using O_WRONLY|O_TRUNC which does not fail.

So we basically end up with having to issue the copy command twice in
order to copy a file to a volume: once in order to create the empty file
and tricking the second attempt into passing O_WRONLY|O_TRUNC to open(2).

This behavior is not limited to cp(1), Thunar (XFCE), Caja (MATE), and
Nautilus also complain about Input/output error when files are initially
created on the exported volume.

We replaced the 64bit ThinLinc client by the 32bit version and the issue
was gone. So, we strongly suspect the 64bit unfsd being the culprit.

Does anybody else experience this behavior?

Cheers
rafi

P.S.: ThinLinc server is running Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 and clients are
running Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 AMD64. ThinLinc 4.0.0 on both ends.

--
Rafael Ostertag, Technischer Assistent
Institut für Mathematik, Universität Zürich
Tel: ++41 (0)44 63-55866, rafael.ostertag at math.uzh.ch