[Thinlinc-technical] TL Client hangup

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon Sep 3 13:41:31 CEST 2012

Hi, please see comments below:

> >Are you using roaming profiles?
>   No
>
> >Check out the Windows Event Viewer and see if there are any errors.
>   No errors
>
> >Another common problem is the Terminal Services Licensing.
> >By default, it tries to automatically locate a licensing server, which can take time and fail. It is typically better to
> enter the DNS name of the license server.
>    My TS Licensing server is the same box as the Windows server running my applicatios, so I don't think there should be any
> delays in license checking ... unless the TL Server is really broken. But I would rule-out this possibility since the "bad"
> behavior is really unstable ... something the Thinlinc-ed application works, sometimes it doesn't.
>    This is a test system, no other concurrent sessions, no other users connected.

The Windows Terminal Server License Discovery is quite complicated. It is
possible to face problems even if it's running on the same machine, and
with few/no other sessions. It's an issue between the MS Terminal Services
/ Remote Desktop Services and the license server; it has nothing to do
with the ThinLinc server. Here's a good description:

http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/licensing/terminal-server-license-service-discovery-part1.html

But I think that if there are no events about this in the Event Viewer, it
is probably another problem.

> >If this doesn't help, it could be a problem with device redirection. For example, I think I've seen in the past that a
> non-working sound card can cause such an effect.
>   How can I check that?

If you are running a mixed session, ie a Linux desktop with Windows Server
apps/desktop, you can check if the sound works for Linux applications.
Another test could be to disable the RDP sound redirection entirely, and
see if that helps. This can be done either on the Windows Server side or
on the ThinLinc side. In the latter case, this can be done in the web
interface under Application Servers -> Windows Terminal Server Groups
(RDP) -> "default", then select Sound system: disabled.

>   I attach two process listings, HTH:
>  1. ps_1.txt
>     Process list when everything is OK
>     Then I try to start Firefox and it does get stuck
>
>  2. ps_2.txt
>     This is the new process list while Firefox is hanging
>   Cheers,

Now I'm confused... Are you saying that Firefox hangs as well, in the
Windows Server session? I'd say that that is another thing indicating that
there's some problem on the Windows Server side. Does it hang forever?

Regards,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		http://cendio.com