[Thinlinc-technical] sshd error msg

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Tue Jan 18 08:52:00 CET 2011

Hi, see comments below:

> On 18/01/11 06:29, Christian Nygaard wrote:
>       The recommended way is to run Thinlinc without Apparmor although less secure it is more compatible. I've run into problems running for example evince
>       with Apparmor on.
>

> Thanks again, Christian!
>
> I turned off apparmor using /etc/init.d/apparmor teardown and restarted the vsmserver.
> As soon as I succesfully connect via thinlinc from a Ubuntu 10.10 desktop to the thinlinc server running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS desktop in a VMware virtual machine, I
> get:

I agree with Christian; if you run into problems it's a good idea to try
without AppArmor and SELinux. We are trying to be compatible with both,
though, and are documenting this on
http://www.cendio.com/resources/docs/tag/install_distnotes.html .

> ==> auth.log <==
> Jan 18 14:01:15 srv205 sshd[2617]: last message repeated 16 times
> Jan 18 14:01:15 srv205 sshd[2939]: Accepted publickey for root from 172.27.26.15 port 50379 ssh2
> Jan 18 14:01:15 srv205 sshd[2939]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
> Jan 18 14:01:18 srv205 sshd[2617]: channel 11: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
> Jan 18 14:02:19 srv205 sshd[2617]: last message repeated 25 times

> Any ideas where the
> channel 11: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
> comes from every two seconds?

No. This is very strange, we haven't seen this before. Your log files
looks fine, except for these messages.

As I understand it, ThinLinc works ok? Are you sure these messages are
related to ThinLinc? The error message indicates that you have setup a SSH
tunnel (local to remote) but that the remote server/port is not accepting
connections. ThinLinc uses such tunnels, but only 2: One for the VSM
server communication and one for the Xvnc (graphics) session. If you can
successfully start ThinLinc sessions, both these tunnels must be working.

Too bad SSHD doesn't print which host/port it is trying to connect to. Do
you know about the strace command? In that case, you can run "strace -p"
on the sshd process. This should tell you what SSHD is trying to connect
to.

Best regards,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer