[Thinlinc-technical] More users / Less servers

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Wed Aug 12 19:22:55 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Marcos de Souza Trazzini - Avancera wrote:

>> XP has been the "standard" VDI OS in the rest of the world as
>> well. The problem is just that it's obsolete: The ability to
>> buy support (even
>> "extended") disappeared 1 month ago. I know that some
>> organizations doesn't care about this, but personally, I
>> would never build up a new infrastructure based on an
>> obsolete operating system.
>>
> Not really. Microsoft has extended Windows XP support lifecycle until 2014.
> See: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

Yes, security updates are available, but for everything else, you need an
extended support agreement, and the ability to purchase/sign such an
agreement went away on 14 July 2009.

> OK, but what can I do with ThinLinc without a Linux Desktop System? Being
> just a gateway to WTS is not so attractive...

I disagree, ThinLinc works very well as a frontend to Windows systems. An
overview is provided on
http://www.cendio.com/products/thinlinc/solutions/technology/frontwts.xhtml
.

> Again, lets forget about the applications and use just the desktop for
> comparison. BTW, if we compare OpenOffice memory consumption with MS Office
> 2007 there will be a HUGE difference...

Didn't you just say that we should forget about the applications...?

I have no idea of how much memory MS Office vs OpenOffice consumes, I
can't even guess which consumes the most.

> But as I said, there´s not to many attractives on running ThinLinc as a WTS
> gateway. I could get all the ThinLinc power when publishing a Linux desktop
> that provides access to different platform applications. Otherwise, a WTS
> 2008 standalone solution is much more affordable, both considering hardware
> and licensing costs together of alone.

A plain Windows Terminal Server solution is very limited. This is why
there are so many add-on products, ThinLinc being one of them. But if you
can live with the limitations (ie work around the shortcomings somehow,
accept the Windows lock-in etc), then yes, a plain WTS is more affordable
for that case.

Regards,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer