[Thinlinc-technical] Perfect usage case for your Seamless RDP !

Christian Nygaard chris at math.uu.se
Fri Mar 23 16:58:45 CET 2007

> The performance of ThinLinc and NX is comparable. NX might be somewhat faster
> in some cases, such as when running well-behaved X11 applications over a 56K
> modem link, but ThinLinc outperforms NX in other cases. This includes Java and
> OpenGL applications, at least this was true when I tried NX some while ago.
> One major ThinLinc customer has measured the bandwidth requirement. The result
> was that ThinLinc, on average, was using only 6 KiB/s. So, it's certainly not
> only for LANs.
> We focus a lot on integration, security and functionality, and in many areas,
> I would say that we provide the best technology available now.
> Best regards, ---
> Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
> Cendio AB		http://www.cendio.se
> Teknikringen 3
> 583 30 Linköping	Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

I think a performance limiting factor of Thinlinc could be that is uses
SSH to tunnel VNC and that SSH has flow control mechanisms that limits its
bandwidth on high latency links.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/flow-control.html
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/theory.php

Older performance benchmarks X11, VNC, Citrix
section 5.2.2
http://www.ncl.cs.columbia.edu/publications/sigmetrics2002_i2thin.pdf
http://www.ncl.cs.columbia.edu/publications/tocs2001_slowmotion.pdfA
http://www.ncl.cs.columbia.edu/research/thin/