[Thinlinc-technical] Perfect usage case for your Seamless RDP !

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Fri Mar 23 10:33:55 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Alexey Eremenko wrote:

> > > "ThinLinc is a fast and versatile thin client system. It is based on open
> > > protocols such as TightVNC, SSH, and PulseAudio. The ThinLinc server
> > > software can be used to distribute Linux/Unix desktops to thin clients.
> > > The system also supports Windows Terminal Services and CodeWeavers
> > > CrossOver. ThinLinc supports redirection of sound, local printers, disk
> > > drives, and serial ports, on top of SSH. It also features a unique
> > > "one-click" integration tool for Novell eDirectory. Clients are available
> > > for a wide variety of platforms."

> OK, so it's basically "SSH+VNC+some extra integration" - the main
> problem here, is that this solution might lose in performance area to
> NoMachine's NX.
>
> Even thorough, if it's made for LAN environment it doesn't matter that
> much... If the integration of this is better than other's...

The performance of ThinLinc and NX is comparable. NX might be somewhat
faster in some cases, such as when running well-behaved X11 applications
over a 56K modem link, but ThinLinc outperforms NX in other cases. This
includes Java and OpenGL applications, at least this was true when I tried
NX some while ago.

One major ThinLinc customer has measured the bandwidth requirement. The
result was that ThinLinc, on average, was using only 6 KiB/s. So, it's
certainly not only for LANs.

We focus a lot on integration, security and functionality, and in many
areas, I would say that we provide the best technology available now.

Best regards,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		http://www.cendio.se