[Thinlinc-technical] Perfect usage case for your Seamless RDP !

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:13:14 CET 2007

On 3/23/07, Peter Åstrand <astrand at cendio.se> wrote:

> > I don't really understood what ThinLinc is, so it's difficult to tell.
> > Is it a terminal service, like Remote Desktop or NX ?
>
> Yes. From http://freshmeat.net/projects/thinlinc/:
>
> "ThinLinc is a fast and versatile thin client system. It is based on open
> protocols such as TightVNC, SSH, and PulseAudio. The ThinLinc server
> software can be used to distribute Linux/Unix desktops to thin clients.
> The system also supports Windows Terminal Services and CodeWeavers
> CrossOver. ThinLinc supports redirection of sound, local printers, disk
> drives, and serial ports, on top of SSH. It also features a unique
> "one-click" integration tool for Novell eDirectory. Clients are available
> for a wide variety of platforms."

OK, so it's basically "SSH+VNC+some extra integration" - the main
problem here, is that this solution might lose in performance area to
NoMachine's NX.

Even thorough, if it's made for LAN environment it doesn't matter that
much... If the integration of this is better than other's...

I just wanted to show what Seamless RDP can be used for.... something
that I'm sure original developers haven't even thought of... :) -
Seamless Mode Virtualization !

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"